Friday, July 4, 2014

Day Two: Sunset

Today and tomorrow are quick and easy. Four and three miles. This hills, like I have mentioned several times, are really putting some pressure on my ankles. Honestly, the pain will be useful once I return to the states. Chicago is completely flat. I am hoping that as my training gets to the homestretch back in Chicago I will be able to use this hill endurance to my advantage. 

July 3rd- 4 Miles


Mile 1: The Aztecs! 

This park is a hidden gem. You walk up a few (million) stairs. BUT THEN, you arrive to the top and immediately arrive to this beautiful aztec inspired building.
What is even more cool is that when I circled back around to end my run the sun was about to set.

I must not give you all the good details THIS EARLY in the blog. Therefore you will just have to force your eyeballs to continue to the end.

Now, I know I put a lot of hype to the sunset of this park but there is actually a part of it that is much better. Five minutes into my run through the Aztec park I spotted a balcony. I got closer... then closer... and in an instant I was looking at the entire city of Madrid.

LOOK BELOW. JUST LOOK. ITS SO PRETTY!

To the left is the Royal Palace (featured in my first post that I am sure you all read). You are not suppose to stop during training and the run should be a consistent pace. I absolutely broke that rule to take in this landscape.

Mile 2: Follow the Yellow Grey Brick Road 

Mile 2 started on a quant little road with trees lined up on both sides. I took that road down for a mile, it felt like it was never going to end! On that path I was able to pinpoint some new routes I could take for my next run.                                                                                                                                       There was a new path everywhere I looked! I obviously didn't take them because they were all uphill and I was not in the mood to climb mount everest. 

Which is an incredible exaggeration because a 90 year old women was walking up with her groceries and made me look like a lazy asshole. 



This mile was a breeze... why? BECAUSE THERE WERE SO MANY DOGS. DOGS ON DOGS ON DOGS ON DOGS. 

MADRID HAS SO MANY DOGS 

If I had a euro for how many pugs I have seen so far I would have enough money to buy eight pugs and then fly them back to Chicago with me in my own private jet. 

I couldn't take a picture while I was running because their owners kept staring at me. That could have been for a few reasons: 
  1. NO ONE RUNS HERE. (because they don't eat- they have a "light" breakfast and don't eat dinner till 9pm and walk everywhere. God bless McDonalds for providing sausage McGriddles in all areas of the world.) 
  2. They just stare to stare. 
  3. I was in fact wearing a Jonas Brothers shirt circa 2008. 
So instead, enjoy this picture I took with Pedro the bulldog at 3am. It's Angels spanish boyfriend. They now have a beautiful long distance relationship. 



Mile 3: A Statue

I couldn't tell you this statues purpose or what it was called or really what it even was... so enjoy this picture and ponder on all those questions. 

Mile 4: Paparazzi 

As promised from mile 1 I must now inform you of the sunset. As I mentioned, I ran pretty late in the afternoon/evening (I dont even know how to categorize the time here because the sun never goes away.) Around 9:15 I ended back from where I started, the Aztec Park. 

At this point I found out that someone leaked the information on my whereabouts and the paparazzi were all lined up waiting to take pictures of me. 

Like I thought I was only a thing in America but I guess I am an international celebrity now. 


JUST KIDDING 
This is crazy. All of these people were lined up to take a picture of the sunset! They all had professional cameras and everything. They had a countdown going. It was unreal. 

I obviously used my spanglish to ask what they were all waiting for. This is how that conversation went. 

Me: "Porque estas waiting aqui?" 
Spanish man: "I aspeak English."

He obviously was just intimidated by my amazing Spanish. 

So I waiting for the sunset while stretching and snapped a few pics of my own and went back to my apartamento.

Thats all for today folks. XO 

I forgot to stop the watch at 4....

No comments:

Post a Comment